At 8,680 feet, Sahale Peak offers astounding 360-views of the North Cascades.We take the Quien Sabe Glacier route under the jagged peaks surrounding Boston Basin. This route has less glacier travel than a climb of Mt. Baker, but the vertical gain and inclusion of a rock scramble to the summit and a rappel make this climb more challenging overall. From the trailhead we ascend the steep Boston Basin trail to an idyllic campsite situated above a creek and surrounded by wildflowers and meadows. We take some well deserved rest and enjoy the beautiful sunset. The following morning we cross rock and snow slabs to the Quien Sabe Glacier before roping-up. We then wind our way around crevasses until reaching the ridge crest, and follow this to a steep section of rock which is climbed to the summit. We rappel back to the glacier and descend to camp. The following day we sleep-in before hiking back to the trailhead.
Our professional guides will teach you the fundamentals of mountaineering on this three-day climb. This trip is designed for experienced hikers and beginner mountaineers looking to advance their skills in the backcountry.
Skills Covered during the climb:
- Selection of personal gear and packing for a glacier climb
- Ice axe positioning and self-arrest techniques
- Crampon use and snow travel
- Climbing knots
- Roped glacier travel skills and rope management
- Basic wilderness safety, objective vs subjective hazard
- Snow camping, melting snow, preparing food and other cold weather camping skills
- Leave No Trace
PassportNot Required for Americans
Minimum Age13 years old
- All permits and fees
- Stoves/Cook Kits
- Group climbing equipment
- Guide Services
- Pre-trip planning information session on packing and gear
- Transportation (We will help arrange carpools or transportation can be provided for extra fees)
- All Meals, Hot Drinks or Snacks
- Gratuities for Guides
- Meet at a convenient Park & Ride at 8:00 am in the Seattle Area. Set up carpools.
- Drive from Seattle to the Marblemount Ranger Station to pick-up permits. Then continue to the trailhead (3.5 hrs. total driving with stop)
- Hike to base camp (5,600 feet) taking breaks to eat, hydrate, enjoy views, and take pictures. Approximate hiking time 3-4 hours.
- Set up camp with the help of your guides.
- Review lessons on snow travel skills.
- Wake-up just before sunrise
- Ascend the Quien Sabe Glacier
- Upon reaching the summit rock pinnacle we switch to pitched climbing
- Rappel from the summit back to the glacier
- Descend back to camp
- Expect a 12 hr. summit day
- Sleep-in after the big summit day and enjoy a late breakfast
- Pack-up camp and descend to the trailhead (3 hrs)
- Stop for a late lunch at a restaurant to celebrate on the way back to Seattle
Sandeep is possibly the best person (Miyar and guides) in the business to take you on the mountains. Anyone who has trained with him to summit Rainier over the years can tell you how much he cares about his peeps. Talk to him and he can always find a way to make it happen. I have been trying to climb Rainier for few years with personal constraints (need to be always available, can return anytime, 24*7 sat phone access etc) and many times I had to return mid climb from big ones like Baker and Rainier. It was really easy to talk to the guides about this situation. I never once felt unsafe on the mountains. This is a big deal given how much we learnt when it comes to snow skills and glacier training. Be safe and go with Miyar!
What an awesome experience to go on climbing Mt. Rainier with Miyar Adventures. Sandeep and his team of guides ( Kirk, Alexis, Joe, Ben, Chris, Jasmin ) did an awesome job to lead the multiple rope teams trough snow skill preparations and guiding through safely on glacier journey. The amount of efforts put into multi-month preparation, pre-trip meetings, accessibility to gears for rent and attention to details with food/weight/personal gears were all instrumental in almost all of us (in a group of 24) able to summit Mt. Rainier and have wonderful memories. We knew we were in best company and safe hands with prior experience with Miyar Adventures led climb to Mt. Baker and few other preparation trips. And guides calibrated their approach from novice climbers to experienced climbers to push enough to have an enjoyable experience. I highly recommend to go with Miyar Adventures on amazing trips they have lined up around the Puget Sound Area and internationally.
If you are interested in doing any climbing or hiking but need a guide , I highly recommend Miyar Adventures...Sandeep is a wonderful person and you will actually learn (and practice ) climbing and crevasse rescue techniques in addition to the trip/climb ...it is definitely beyond a just a "get you to the summit" experience. He genuinely cares and brings in other excellent guides for bigger groups. My husband and I recently successfully made it to the summit of Mount Baker with Sandeep, two other guides and a group of friends and we had a fantastic experience. He and the guides he works with are very knowledgeable so I had confidence in their abilities to lead us but they are also very friendly and fun so that overall trip was enjoyable. I will definitely climb with Miyar Adventures again!