When thinking about Africa, many people imagine wild safaris and vast grassy savannas. But hikers and mountaineers often dream of another prominent feature: Mount Kilimanjaro. Nicknamed the Rooftop of Africa, this massive peak is the highest free-standing mountain in the world. At 19,340 ft Kilimanjaro presents complete contrasts in traditional mountaineering environments. Just south of the Equator, this snow-topped stratovolcano towers above the surrounding landscape. Close to the summit lies the Furtwängler Glacier, a small remnant of an enormous icecap which once crowned the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro. However, the receding glaciers are expected to disappear completely within the next decade.
Travel with Miyar Adventures through multiple climatic zones to the formidable Kilimanjaro. Take the Marangu route and enjoy the easiest route to the top, complete with overnight stays in huts with matresses, pillows, and washrooms. Summiting the Rooftop of Africa is a once in a lifetime opportunity. After completing your summit, celebrate with a journey through many of the Wildlife Safari Tours with Miyar Adventures and check off two incredible experiences from your bucket-list.
- Technically the easiest to climb of the Seven Summit
- Kilimanjaro National Park is pristine and surprisingly clean
- Hot pot for climate change studies the Snow Fields of Kilimanjaro are expected to vanish completely - between 2025 – 2035
- One of the world’s greatest natural wonders: a snow covered mountain on the equator, an ocean of green forest surrounded by dry savannah
- Climbing Kilimanjaro contributes to a thriving local economy, generating about $20 million/year
- Challenging trek with stunning scenery through 5 diverse climatic zones
Route Taken – MARANGU
- Considered by many to be the easiest route to the top
- More moderate slopes
- Best rainforest trails of all the Kilimanjaro routes
- Reach the summit in the shortest time
- Sleep in huts with bunk bed accommodations instead of pitching a tent
- Beverages available for purchase along the way
- Highly recommended for scenic value
- Great for acclimatization with lots of walk high, sleep low opportunities
- Challenging trek with stunning scenery through 5 diverse climatic zones
Minimum Age18 years old
ActivityTrekking, Climbing, Mountaineering, and more.
AccommodationHuts During Trekk
- 2 nights hotel accommodation in Moshi (before & after climb), Breakfast at hotel
- Group transport to and from Moshi to the trailhead
- National Park fees, camping fees, and rescue fees
- Guides: Very experienced guides. Guide-client ratio 1-2
- Porters: 2-3 porters per client. You carry around 10 Lbs
- Accommodation in the Mountain in good quality tents and sleeping mat
- Fresh nutritious meals, cooked and served in dinner tent with table/chairs
- Bottled oxygen, only for rescue/emergency use
- Information sessions and Trip preparation assistance provided by US based guide
- Visa Application Fee
- Lunch or dinner at hotel
- Personal gear and equipment
For the price that it charges Miyar tries to offer maximum value. Few points worth noting are:
- We deliver an end to end experience, all inclusive. This means we assume responsibility from your arrival point near Kilimanjaro (Kilimanjaro, Arusha or Moshi) till when you depart the region after hike.
- Our US based team would work with you as you prepare for your trip. We are there to answer your questions related to health, safety, packing or just about anything related to climbing.
- We use our own local operator and lead guides in Tanzania to ensure that all aspects of the climb are in line with the expectations we have set with our customers and our own uncompromising attitude towards customer experience.
- Our US based guides personally lead climbs several times in an year to ensure that all ground operations are in accordance with our expectations. Usually US based guides accompany larger groups to ensure better coordination.
- Accommodation on nights before and after the climb is included. Stella Maris Lodge is our preferred choice. Depending on availability and logistics considerations, we sometimes use an equally reputable, comfortable and convenient facility. For more details please refer the day by day itinerary.
- Accommodation are in comfortable tents on twin share basis. We use Alps Mountaineering Taurus 3 Outfitter tent in all our expeditions. They are sturdy, spacious and comfortable and are ideal for the conditions on Kilimanjaro.
- We serve great food on the trek, food that is fresh, hygienic and nutritious. We will serve you fresh fruits, veggies, chicken, meat, eggs, sausages, pancakes, juice, soups, fish, rice, pasta etc. We have logistics arrangements to get fresh supplies delivered while we are into our trek. We take care of a wide range of dietary restrictions or preferences like gluten free, lactose intolerant, vegetarian, vegan, kosher, halal etc.
- We carry private commodes / toilets for the use of our guests. Toilets provided by the Kilimanjaro Park Authority at camping sites are not exactly clean or hygienic. So this can be a big factor if such facilities put you off for the day (as is the case with most of us).
- We carry our own safety equipments including oximeters and oxygen cylinders. Hopefully they would not be used but this is an expenditure we would rather waste than avoid.
- All our local guides are carefully chosen for their Kilimanjaro experience, English speaking ability and professionalism. We ensure that all of them are Wilderness First Aid trained.
While comparing Miyar Adventures with other guide companies, please bear the above advantages in mind. We are confident that for the amount you pay, no one else would offer you as much value. Should you still have questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
Marangu Route start to finish. Data is approximate.
Distance: 71km / 44 miles in 6 days.
Elevation Gain/loss: 2860m / 9384 ft.
Climb Day 1 Start: Marangu Gate 1,843 m / 6,046 ft
End: Mandara Hut 2,700 m / 8,858 ft
Elev gain: 900 m / 2,800 ft
Time: 5 hours on average
Distance: About 8 km / 5 mi
Climb Day 2 Start: Mandara Hut 2,700 m / 8,858 ft
End: Horombo Hut 3,720 m / 12,205 ft
Elev gain: 1,000 m / 3,300 ft
Time: 6 - 8 hours average
Distance: About 12 km / 7 mi
Climb Day 3 Start: Horombo Hut 3,720 m / 12,205 ft
Mawenzi Hut: 4,315 m / 14,160 ft
End: Horombo Hut 3,720m / 12,205 ft
Elev gain: 600 m / 1,900 ft / Elev loss: 600 m / 1,900 ft
Time: 3 - 5 hours average
Distance: About 10 km / 6 mi
* Day includes critical acclimatization gain and loss
Climb Day 4 Start: Horombo Hut 3,720 m / 12,205 ft
End: Kibo Hut 4,703 m / 15,430 ft
Elev gain: 980 m / 3,200 ft
Time: 6 - 8 hours average
Distance: About 10km / 6 mi
Climb Day 5 Start: Kibo Hut 4,700 m / 15,430 ft
Summit: Uhuru Peak 5896 m / 19,344 ft
End: Horombo Hut 3,720 m / 12,205 ft
Elev gain: 1,196m / 3,924 ft
Time to summit: 6 - 8 hours
Elev loss: 2,176 m / 7,139 ft
Time to descend: 4 – 5 hours
Distance: About 22 km / 14 mi
Climb Day 6 Start: Horombo Hut 3,720 m / 12,205 ft
End: Marangu Gate 1,843m / 6,046 ft
Elev loss: 1,900m / 6,100 ft
Time: 5 - 7 hours
Distance: About 20 km / 12 mi
- Make a copy of your passport and keep it in your luggage.
- Don’t walk on your own at night in the major cities or on empty beaches. Especially in Pemba or Zanzibar.
- Don’t wear jewelry.
- Don’t carry too much cash with you.
- Wear a money belt that fits under your clothes.
- Don’t carry a lot of camera equipment.
Recommended per day tipping amounts for the Kilimanjaro climb crewmembers split between the whole group:
- Head guides $25-30
- Head cook $15-20
- Assistant guide $15-20
- Summit porter $8-10
- Porters and camping crew $6-8
Tanzania Visa Fees
- US Citizens: $100 (multiple entry) good for one year
- Non-US Citizens: $50 (single entry) good for six months
- Two recent passport size photos
- Flight Itinerary
- Passport valid for six months
- Visa fee (they accept credit cards or personal checks with driver’s license number written on it)
- Visa application form must be filled out and signed by the applicant.
- Tanzania Currency: Tanzanian Shilling (TZS). Current Exchange rate: I USD = 2165 TZS
- Carry US Dollars Cash up to 5 USD
- Use money belts
- Keep a stack of small bills for tips and other expenses
- ATMs are not always good
-You should aim to go on a big hike or a backpacking trip once every month (day hike around 4,000 ft. gain or better 2-3 big days in the mountains).
-A reasonable goal would be to ascent 4,000 feet carrying an average pack of 20 pounds in a 4-5 hour period, or roughly 800-1,000 vertical feet per hour
-Try to go on some high altitude hikes (elevation at least 5,000 feet, ideally 8,000-10,000 feet)
In addition to hiking and backpacking we suggest you dedicate 2-3 days to cardio over the week. Weight training will also help build overall strength. We recommend 2 full-body strength workouts a week for 30-45 minutes each. Focus on compound exercises like squats, lunges, step-ups, pull-ups, rows, dead lifts, bench presses, pushups, and overhead presses. Flexibility training and stretching for 10-15 minutes at the end of your cardio is also beneficial.
- All guides carry professional first aid kits.
- Oxygen Cylinders are carried for emergency use.
- All guides have two way radios
- Iridium Go Satellite Hub to help us keep connected to the outside world from anywhere on the mountain
- How to train for the climb. Training Plans
- Planning for the trip, Visa, flight tickets, travel insurance etc
- Packing List, Clothing/gear required for Kilimanjaro
- High Altitude trekking, Preventing AMS, Medicines etc
- Health, Vaccines and overall trip safety
Tanzania uses square shapes power sockets (UK style) as shown. We recommend you carry a suitable adapter or use a universal power socket.
I climbed Kilimanjaro via the Machame Route with Miyar Adventures in Jan. 2016. Sandeep did a lot of hand-holding before and during the trip in terms of providing information and answering questions. He also took care of all the logistics and made everything hassle free. I was concerned about joining a big group but was relieved to find some quiet time on my own during the hike. My favorite thing about the hike was the local guides, especially Aaron and Sunday. They're very kind and supportive.
Really enjoyed the experience in Kili - staff are extremely nice. The tour guides, and even the porters, are very helpful and experienced. I feel safe throughout the trip. Would definitely recommend Miyar!
LOVED the Kili Climb! Very well organized, the food was amazing! FRESH fruits and veggies at every meal, and they even accommodated dietary restrictions!! GF, Vegan and dairy (just to name a few) in our group of 14! The morning ritual of GINGER TEA was my fav, for sure!!! Sandeep is a great team builder, the group or climbers were so amazing, helpful and cheery the entire time!!! I will climb with Miyar again! Wish you could experience this for yourself, it is a once in a lifetime experience!!!
Climbing Kili was a mind opening experience thanks to Sandeep, our group, and local guides. It's not just about breathtaking scenery, which you will experience. It's about the people. Sandeep and the people he works with are genuine, knowledgeable, wonderful people. I can't wait for my next trip with them! Love you guys!
I climbed Kilimanjaro with Sandeep, it was an amazing experience. The trip was really well arranged, and we did not need to do much planning-wise. Sandeep was super friendly and helped us train for the climb, with the visas, vaccinations. He even brought some extra "just in case" jackets for the climb - which I ended up borrowing :) The mountain guides were awesome, the food was exceptional. It was a great trip and I look forward to my next trip with Miyar
Climbed Kilimanjaro with Miyar a few months ago. It was an awesome trip. Everything was very well organized, and we didn't have to worry about a single thing. In fact Sandeep went out of his way to make things go smoothly. He was available months in advance to provide/discuss trip details and answer any questions that we had. He was also very flexible about the trip plan. And finally, he was willi...ng to organize training hikes for us as well, although that didn't work out due to the conflicting schedules of the group members. He made sure that all the group members met and got to know each other beforehand, which I think was really helpful. The trip itself (climb, safari, the group I went with) was one of the most enjoyable and fulfilling experiences of my life.
I joined Sandeep on a climb to the highest free-standing mountain in the world - Kilimanjaro in Africa not quite knowing what that meant or what was involved and gained more than what I could have ever imagined. It was a rather long climb and the last day was very tiresome for me. Sandeep continued to encourage me when I was tired and truly exhausted and felt like I could not move an inch. Thanks to that, I did end up summiting and got safely back down to basecamp. I truly appreciated how the climb was coordinated by Sandeep with the guides and porters and it was really pain free for the clients with great food and all conveniences one can expect on a mountain. The pre-planning and gear check sessions all helped me immensely and thought the price was by far the best I had observed for the services provided.
After having been part of climbs with other leaders, I think Sandeep's climbs are very accommodative to a wide set of climbers with varied skill set and preferences. I highly recommend his climbs and would definitely join on future climbs to some of the most beautiful places in the world.
Kilimanjaro was my first mountain excursion outside of the US. I was equally excited and nervous. Sandeep and Miyar Adventures set up the most phenomenal trip I could have imagined! The plan fell perfectly into place upon arrival: hotels were lovely, food was delicious and the mountain guides were marvelous. Sandeep left nothing out when coordinating all of this. He was also available for the months prior to the departure to meet and make sure we had the correct flight plans, gear and clothing, vaccinations, passports, visas and any thing else we might need. Lastly, Sandeep set up local hiking treks prior to our big trip to ensure that we are all physically ready for the trip and so that we may meet one another before the big climb. I know this is a long review, but I wish I could write even more! I felt so comfortable in the hands of Sandeep and Miyar Adventures the entire time! There is nothing that could have gone better and I will certainly be booking another trip with this company soon!