Price: $495/2 days, $695/3 days, $875/4 days (2 person minimum)
This is a two to four-day course designed to teach participants with previous glacier travel experience how to perform self rescue, partner rescue, and problem solve in the event a climbing team member falls into a crevasse. The course takes place on the Coleman Glacier of Mt. Baker which offers easy access to large crevasses in which to practice techniques in a realistic manner.We are happy to provide custom Crevasse Rescue Courses for private groups or individuals upon request. When selecting whether to take a two, three, or four day course, consider the following:
- If you have previous experience with crevasse rescue, understand how to build snow anchors using equalized pickets, and can easily tie a prusik hitch, autoblock, clove-hitch, figure-8 on a bite, and overhand on a bite, then taking the two-day course is a good choice. If you do not have these skills, we can work with you to gain them during an evening session or during another weekend.
- If you have previous glacier travel experience but you are a little rusty on knots and hitches, then taking the three-day course is a good choice.
- If you intend to apply knowledge from the course on climbs where you are on a rope team with one other person, and thus you would be a sole rescuer, the four-day course is a good option. If you are planning on climbing a glaciated peak while carrying a heavy load or sled, such as a climb of Denali, we recommend the four-day course.
Skills Covered during the climb:
- Equipment selection, strengths, and limitations
- Rope management
- Rope-team travel techniques
- Knots and hitches pertaining to crevasse rescue
- Snow anchors
- Self-rescue systems & practice
- Partner Rescue including: 2:1, 3:1, and 5:1 haul systems
- Problem solving using load-releasable systems
- Review of cold weather camping skills
Duration2 to 4 Days
Next Schedule14 July 2018
PassportNot Required for Americans
Minimum Age16 years old
ActivityCrevasse Rescue/Glacier Mountaineering
- All permits and fees
- Breakfast and Dinner
- Chai/Tea/Coffee/Hot Chocolate
- Stoves/Cook Kits
- Group climbing equipment
- Guide Services
- Pre-trip Planning/Information session on packing and gear
- Backpacking, mountaineering, and general outdoor safety skills
- Transportation (We will help arrange carpools or transportation can be provided for extra fees)
- Gratuities for Guides
The trip will start with a meeting at least 3 days before the start date. We will go through the following:
- Ride sharing
- Personal gear check, gear rental
- Logistics, weather, and plan for each day
Note:In the event of inclement weather, we may opt to do some of the course at a campground or in a classroom setting that is convenient for students and instructors.
If you are interested in doing any climbing or hiking but need a guide , I highly recommend Miyar Adventures...Sandeep is a wonderful person and you will actually learn (and practice ) climbing and crevasse rescue techniques in addition to the trip/climb ...it is definitely beyond a just a "get you to the summit" experience. He genuinely cares and brings in other excellent guides for bigger groups. My husband and I recently successfully made it to the summit of Mount Baker with Sandeep, two other guides and a group of friends and we had a fantastic experience. He and the guides he works with are very knowledgeable so I had confidence in their abilities to lead us but they are also very friendly and fun so that overall trip was enjoyable. I will definitely climb with Miyar Adventures again!
What an awesome experience to go on climbing Mt. Rainier with Miyar Adventures. Sandeep and his team of guides ( Kirk, Alexis, Joe, Ben, Chris, Jasmin ) did an awesome job to lead the multiple rope teams trough snow skill preparations and guiding through safely on glacier journey. The amount of efforts put into multi-month preparation, pre-trip meetings, accessibility to gears for rent and attention to details with food/weight/personal gears were all instrumental in almost all of us (in a group of 24) able to summit Mt. Rainier and have wonderful memories. We knew we were in best company and safe hands with prior experience with Miyar Adventures led climb to Mt. Baker and few other preparation trips. And guides calibrated their approach from novice climbers to experienced climbers to push enough to have an enjoyable experience. I highly recommend to go with Miyar Adventures on amazing trips they have lined up around the Puget Sound Area and internationally.
Sandeep is possibly the best person (Miyar and guides) in the business to take you on the mountains. Anyone who has trained with him to summit Rainier over the years can tell you how much he cares about his peeps. Talk to him and he can always find a way to make it happen. I have been trying to climb Rainier for few years with personal constraints (need to be always available, can return anytime, 24*7 sat phone access etc) and many times I had to return mid climb from big ones like Baker and Rainier. It was really easy to talk to the guides about this situation. I never once felt unsafe on the mountains. This is a big deal given how much we learnt when it comes to snow skills and glacier training. Be safe and go with Miyar!